Friday, February 20, 2009

Chris Tormey (former Idaho and Nevada head coach) hired as UH Special Teams Coordinator

About taking the special teams coordinator position at UH, Chris Tormey said:
"It's not about how much money you make. It's the people you're working with, and your chances to be successful. ... I'm looking to being part of a very bright future at the University of Hawai'i." (HA)

HA Note: "Tormey was head coach at Idaho (1995-99) and Nevada (2000-03). The past five seasons, he was the linebackers coach at Washington."

HSB Note: "Tormey, who has 28 years of experience, coached against UH during his tenure at Nevada from 2000 to 2003. He had been an assistant at Washington since 2004, coaching the Huskies' linebackers and serving as recruiting coordinator."

About how he looks for 3 things in a job: location, a good employer and a chance to be successful, Tormey said:
"Hawai'i's a home run on all three counts." (HA)

About wanting to work with his college coach (Mac), Tormey said:
"He coached me at the University of Idaho." (HA)

"(McMackin's) the same guy I knew as a player. I really responded to him and it's the same (with UH)." (HSB)

About Tormey as a player, Mac said:
"He was an excellent player. He was the captain, and probably our best player on defense. We were talking the other day. I remembered he had an interception. I thought he ran it back, but he got tackled on the 1, against Montana State. I think a big offensive tackle chased him down. (HA)

About how he knew that Tormey would be a good coach, Mac said:
"But I always knew he'd be a good coach. You can really tell the guys who have a good personality and a great work ethic and are good people. You know they have the potential to be a good coach. He has all of those things." (HA)

HA Note: "McMackin said Tormey will work with the safeties. Associate head coach Rich Miano is in charge of the defensive secondary. Assistant head coach George Lumpkin will work with the defensive tackles. Dave Aranda is in charge of the defensive line."

About his coaching staff, Mac said:
"I'm really excited about our staff. I really feel comfortable with our staff. They all care about our players. They're experienced, and they're excellent coaches." (HA)

HA Note: "McMackin said there were about 200 applicants for the recent opening. Tormey, who has recruited in Hawai'i the past decade, said he welcomes this opportunity. Tormey had successfully rebuilt a Nevada program that had fallen severely."

About joining UH, Tormey said:
"I'm coming to work for a bowl team. The winning work ethic has been established. They've got a lot of good, young talent at the University of Hawai'i." (HA)

HA Note: "Tormey said he expects to recruit in Hawai'i, Washington and California."

HA Note: "Tormey and wife, Kellie, have two daughters. One attends Washington, the other is at Yale."

About how he's kept track of Tormey's coaching career, Mac said:
"We've never coached together. We've always remained friends. I've always followed him. We've been in the same football family, as you would say. He's always been successful. I'm fortunate to have Chris and his family join us." (HA)

"He was a captain and a great player and after he graduated I followed his career. He and I have been friends and I've always admired him." (HSB)

Happy with being able to hire Tormey, Mac said:
"He's a very valued addition to the staff." (HSB)

"He's a great person and a great coach. I've known him a long time and really trust him. I think he's one of the best in the game so I'm really excited about him." (HSB)

About how he was Washington's primary recruiter in Hawaii, Tormey said:
"I know a lot of the high school coaches in Hawaii and have relationships there, so I think I'll be able to hit the ground running on recruiting." (HSB)

About the importance of special teams, Tormey said:
"I've always thought special teams is the X-factor. It's the difference between winning and losing games. The first thing is just to be sound across the board and the second thing is to make the big plays." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment