Sunday, December 28, 2008

RB/OL Coach Alex Gerke leaves for Utah State

About Gerke joining his friend Gary Anderson, the new Utah State head coach, Mac said:
"I hope he is successful there. Gerke's done nothing but good things for us. He's been an outstanding coach." (HA)

Mac said that Gerke had the RB coach title but he also served as an:
"assistant offensive line coach." (HA)

About Gerke leaving for Utah State, Mac said:
"Gerke spent most of his career in Utah. The (Utah State) coach is a good friend of his. He's a Utah guy." (HA)

About how he will not hire Gerke's replacement until after NLI day on February 4, Mac said:
"I want to focus on recruiting. I don't want to take anything away from that. I want to get the right fit for our staff. I don't want to rush into anything." (HA)

HA Note: "McMackin said Gerke's departure will not hinder recruiting. Gerke and Smith collaborated on recruiting offensive tackle Brent Leonard of Saddleback College. Last week, Leonard signed a scholarship agreement with the Warriors. Leonard will enroll at UH in January."

About how he expects the new hire to also work with the OL, Mac said that two OL coaches can work together:
"absolutely." (HA)

About taking his time replacing Gerke, Mac said:
"I'm going to be patient and not jump into anything. I don't like to make emotional decisions. I want to take my time. Besides, you can only have seven guys on the road (recruiting). It doesn't hurt us with recruiting." (HA)

No comments:

Post a Comment