Thursday, December 25, 2008

Quotes from the Hawaii Bowl (UH vs. Notre Dame) 12/24/08

HA = Honolulu Advertiser
HSB = Honolulu Star-Bulletin
UH = University of Hawaii Official Site
AP = Associated Press
-------------------

The Hawaii Bowl set attendance records yesterday--45,718 tickets issued and 43,487 people attended the game.

---------------- Quotes from the UH Coaches ------------------

.
About their season, UH head coach Greg McMackin (Mac) said:
"It’s been a hard fought season. We were 1-3 at one point and the team fought back to get into a bowl game." (UH)

Giving credit to Notre Dame, Mac said:
"They worked hard to play this bowl game and when it really comes down to it, Notre Dame made the plays and we didn’t. I give full credit to Charlie Weis and his staff. I thought that their athletes are outstanding. Getting no. 3 Michael Floyd back made them a top-notch offensive unit. You have Golden Tate on one side and you have Floyd on the other side and it really causes you a lot of trouble. And including (Jimmy) Clausen, I’ve taught in the pros and today he was as accurate as I’ve ever seen. I give him full credit - he was outstanding and his receivers were outstanding. I thought they did a good job. They made the plays and we couldn’t make the plays." (UH)

Proud of his players, Mac said:
"I’m proud of my guys because they fought their tail off. I had three goals this season - one is to graduate 100 percent of my players. Second, we came in a legit second in the league and that’s not good enough and is unaccepatble. And last, we wanted to go to a a bowl game and we did but we didn’t win." (UH)

Praising Notre Dame, Mac said:
"I really admire Notre Dame. They were down losing the last four of five games. I thought tonight’s game was going to come out different. But they jumped on us. We didn’t make some plays and they did. They finished. We talked at halftime, and we thought that if we could score, we could be back in the ball game. But they didn’t let us back in. I was pleased with a lot of things the offense did. I thought some of the receivers made some outstanding catches. Greg (Alexander) threw some great balls." (UH)

Praising Clausen, Mac said that he was:
"as accurate as I've ever seen. He was outstanding, his receivers were outstanding." (AP)

"Today, Jimmy Clausen was as accurate a passer as I've seen." (HSB)

"He gets the ball off quickly. He could've beat a lot of teams today. He's going to be a Heisman Trophy winner." (HA)

HA Note: "It was a far cry from his previous game, a 38-3 shellacking at Southern California on Nov. 29, when Clausen was 11-of-22 for 41 yards with two interceptions."

About how their D didn't get any big plays and Clausen led Notre Dame to TDs on 5 straight possessions, Mac said:
"Defensively we just didn't make any plays. We didn't get any interceptions, we didn't get any fumbles. ... (Clausen) had a great game. He could have beaten a lot of people today." (HSB)

About how they gave up 8 sacks in this game and an NCAA-record 59 sacks this season (Notre Dame set the record at 58 last season), Mac said:
"We had too many sacks. We're going to examine that and we're going to get that corrected for next season." (HSB)

About the game, Mac said:
"We had guys there, but (the Fighting Irish) made plays and we didn't make plays." (HA)

"They were consistent, and we weren't. They made plays, and we didn't make plays. ... Notre Dame just out-played us in all three phases." (HA)

Praising Aaron Bain's play in this game, Mac said:
"Aaron Bain played a great game and he made some great, spectacular diving catches. I thought he got better and better as the year went on, and today he was really consistent. He really competed." (HA)

After the game, as he walked to the locker room Mac told a group of Aloha Stadium workers:
"I'm sorry. I let you down this time." (HA)

Giving Jake Ingram a hug after the game, Mac said:
"I'll be your friend for life." (HA)

Asked which hurt more, losing the game or saying goodbye to their seniors, Mac said:
"Both. I love these guys, and I wanted them to go out with a win. It would have been really neat. But give credit to Notre Dame. They played a great game." (HA)

.
Despite the fumble that Bain lost, Ron Lee said that Bain played:
"a perfect game." (HA)

.
About how they expected Notre Dame's pressure, OL coach Brian Smith said:
"We expected them to pressure us. We worked on it all week. We had some breakdowns in execution — protection-wise, up front, all the way around — and it showed at times. We're definitely a little disappointed in the way we played up front." (HA)

.
------------------ Quotes from the UH Players -----------------------

.
About how Notre Dame's coverage contributed to their sacks, Alexander said:
"They did a great job defending our routes in the secondary and underneath coverage and that kind of factored into the pressure. They were bringing at least six every time. They had a good game plan." (HSB)

About their struggles on offense, Alexander said:
"They did a good job of taking away our short stuff. They had an excellent game plan coming in. They brought pressure. It was an accumulation of things." (HA)

"It was frustrating. But it was one of those things you have to keep pounding away until you find something that works. Today, we didn't find it." (HA)

.
About how "nothing is set in stone", but he's open to moving to another position in the spring, Inoke said:
"Whatever (the coaches) want to me to do. If they want me to fight it out (at quarterback) I'll do that. If they feel my athleticism can be utilized at another position, I'll do that. I'm open to suggestions come spring." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Hawaii quarterback Inoke Funaki, making his first appearance in three games, went 5-for-5 and threw a 27-yard touchdown pass to Mike Washington for the Warriors' final score of the season."

About his TD pass to Washington, Inoke said:
"I was joking with the other quarterbacks that that was my last hurrah." (HSB)

.
About his 8 catches for 109 yards and 2 TDs, all personal bests, Aaron Bain said:
"I can look at it that I left everything I had on the field and I tried to do my best, but at the same time, I feel so disappointed because I feel like I should have made more plays and tried to do more to contribute and put points on the board." (HSB)

About beating his defender to score their first TD and make the score 14-7, Bain said:
"It was a great play. The defender was inside and (Alexander) called a play to bait the DB that was on Malcolm (Lane) to move him inside, which left the flats wide open. He led me to the outside and from there it was just one-on-one with the defender. I saw the pylon and I knew I'd have to do whatever I could do to get it in." (HA)

About his second TD reception, on the possession after he lost a fumble, Bain said:
"They kept dropping people in the middle. So we kept making plays for the middle. Like Coach says, when a play comes your way, you just have to make the play." (HA)

About how Notre Dame scored TDs right after each of their TDs to kill any momentum for UH, Bain said:
"Just trying to get the fans back in the game was such a tough one, because we strike and then they came right back and score. Just couldn't get the crowd into it." (HSB)

About the MVP Trophy he was awarded for UH, Bain said:
"I would sacrifice the trophy in a minute. I really wanted to win this game for the seniors and for the state of Hawaii." (HSB)

"I'd trade it in a second just to have another win on our belt. I'd sacrifice anything I could just for that win. I appreciate that award, but I really wanted to win this game for the seniors and for the state of Hawai'i." (HA)

About how this bowl was in front of their home crowd, Bain said:
"It's different than (the Sugar Bowl) last year. We had a lot of fan support there, but playing in the state of Hawai'i for our home crowd — I just really wanted to win this game and make everybody happy. If I could, I'd trade that MVP award any day." (HA)

About the loss, Bain said:
"To me, any loss for the University of Hawaii and Warrior football is tough. I don't care who we lose to or if it's a bowl game or not, it's a disappointment because I know this team could be a great team." (HSB)

About how his Warrior career ended with this game, Bain said:
"It's up to the young guys now." (HSB)

Reflecting on his Warrior career, Bain said:
"We talked about the ups and downs, about all the games we won and lost. I think this team is great because we don't give up. We fight through adversity. We came a long way and the thing I'm going to miss most is just chilling with the boys. We're brothers for life. We're like a family, and that's what really means a lot to me." (HA)

.
About how this loss hurts more than the Sugar Bowl loss, Solomon Elimimian (Sol) said:
"It hurts even more, I feel, because this was our last game and we felt this was a bowl game we should have played better in. To know we can't take that back, we can't say, 'OK there's next year.' That's the part that hurts the most." (HSB)

About how Notre Dame used screen passes effectively against their blitzes, Sol said:
"We're an aggressive defense, so maybe that figured in. But there were plays we should've made. We didn't execute." (HSB)

About how they didn't counter Notre Dame's speed, Sol said:
"They had some team speed, but more so we just didn't do what we had to do to counter that." (HSB)

.
About how this game showed by Jimmy Clausen was the #1 recruit in the country in 2006, Adam Leonard said:
"you could see why (Clausen was No. 1)." (HA)

.
About the 14-yard TD pass he gave up to make the score 14-0, Jameel Dowling said:
"It was a push-off, and I didn't get the call, but you can't use that as an excuse." (HSB)

.
About the 29-yard pass Notre Dame made when it was 4th-and-1, Keao Monteilh said:
"I was running with the tight end and I had pretty decent coverage. I turned and looked for the ball and he grabbed the back of my jersey. No call for me, I guess." (HSB)

.
About Notre Dame's success on offense, Calvin Roberts said:
"They had good speed. They knew what coverage we had. They were checking at the line. They made the plays. It wasn't our day. If we played them any other day, I think it would have been a different story. But this wasn't our day. Big ups to them. Give them all of the credit." (HA)

.
--------------- Quotes from the Notre Dame Coaches ----------------

.
Happy that they were able to avoid distractions in Hawaii, Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis said:
"I think it will be a happy time for our players. It’s been a long time since we’ve won a bowl game. Our players came here knowing that coming to Hawaii can be a real distraction. It’s such a great venue, the people are nice and the weather is beautiful and the bowl people do such a great job with this bowl. It’s easy to see how people can roll in here on a Thursday and Friday during the regular season and very often come out here a loser. But I think that our players came here on a mission to mix business with pleasure and I think they did a heck of a job. They showed up today and was ready from the start of the game till the end of the game. I give kudos to the players and the coaches. I am also very happy for Notre Dame because this was a big step forward for us and leads us into 2009 with a good taste in our mouths. It also allows those seniors who are walking out the door to leave here with part of their legacy knowing that they were apart of a team that ended that long drought of bowl games." (UH)

"Our players came here knowing that coming to Hawai'i can be a real distraction. It's easy to see how people can roll in here on a Thursday and Friday during the regular season and very often come out here a loser. But I think that our players came here on a mission to mix business with pleasure and I think they did a heck of a job. They showed up today and were ready from the start of the game till the end of the game." (HA)

About calling their plays from the press box, Weis said:
"It was ten time easier. It was like night and day. Jimmy and I were talking about this earlier I haven’t been up in the box since Drew Bledsoe got hurt in 2001." (UH)

"It's 10 times easier. It's night and day easier. I haven't been up in the box since Drew Bledsoe got hurt. ... You don't want to do that long term, but calling a game from up there is pretty sweet. As a head coach, you want to be on the sideline." (AP)

"It's 10 times easier to call a game from up there than down on the field. As far as seeing the field, it's not even close." (HSB)

"It was just like the olden days. I haven't been up there (in the press box since Drew Bledsoe was the (starting) quarterback in New England." (HA)

About why he moved from the press box to the field when Tom Brady took over in New England, Weis said:
"It was the game Drew Bledsoe was hurt and Tom Brady took over. Tommy was an inexperienced quarterback then, and Bill (Belichick) and I thought we needed extra leadership on the field." (HSB)

Asked if he would stay in the press box next season, Weis said:
"I'm the head coach. I won't be staying up there. No, no...." (HA)

About how they respected UH's offense, Weis said:
"We came here knowing that Hawaii has good offensive fire power and the games they win they score in significant numbers." (UH)

About how he got his Christmas wish, Weis said:
"I told the team that's the only thing I wanted (for Christmas). I just wanted to win a bowl game. I heard it a hundred times in the locker room after the game and they wanted to know what I was giving them for Christmas. I told them: 'a flight home.' " (AP)

About how this win was important to them, Weis said:
"I'm very happy for Notre Dame. This was a great step forward for us. It leads us into 2009 with a good taste in our mouth." (AP)

"We showed up today. We were ready to play from the start to the end and it's going to leave a good taste in our mouths for 2009." (HSB)

"This was a big step forward for us and leads us into 2009 with a good taste in our mouths. It also allows the seniors who are walking out the door to leave here with part of their legacy knowing that they were a part of a team that ended that long drought of bowl games." (HSB)

About how they could go deep due to UH's aggressive D, Weis said:
"We knew (Hawaii) was going to come out aggressive on defense, so we thought we could be successful going over the top, going deep. It worked." (HSB)

"We figured they would be very aggressive on us. They come out in a cover two, which is what they like to play. They tried to come up on us and we thought we could get by and fortunately, we made some big plays." (HA)

HA Note: "Weis used 237-pound Robert Hughes at running back to force the Warriors to shift a second linebacker toward the middle. He sent tight end Kyle Rudolph on Z-shaped routes to draw a safety out of zone coverage. And he aligned freshman wideout Michael Floyd, who missed the past two games because of an injury, opposite Tate."

.
----------------- Quotes from the Notre Dame Players -----------------

.
About how their players were determined to win the game, QB Jimmy Clausen said:
"The guys came out here on a mission." (AP)

Happy they sent their seniors out with a win, Clausen said:
"It was good for us to send the seniors out on the right note, and to end the bowl streak." (HA)

About how they felt comfortable in Hawaii, Clausen said:
"We all felt good the day we stepped here in Hawai'i." (HA)

Crediting his OL for his success, Clausen said:
"I got hit maybe one time. We were clicking." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Clausen put up huge numbers, going 22-for-26 for 401 yards, five touchdowns and no interceptions."

About his 18-yard TD pass to Golden Tate despite Calvin Roberts and Desmond Thomas defending him, Clausen said:
"Hey, I trusted in him that he could make a play, and I made a throw." (HA)

Clausen said that every time Tate faced single coverage he would think:
"I'm going there." (HA)

.
Praising Clausen, WR Golden Tate (who had 177 yards receiving) said:
"I don't know what Jimmy ate. He should have been 24-for-26 because we had two drops. He showed great leadership." (HSB)

About his 18-yard TD reception, Tate said:
"I don't know why he even threw it. Obviously, he had confidence in me. I did my best to get to it." (HA)

About how Clausen called an audible on his 69-yard TD reception (their longest play from scrimmage this season), Tate said:
"He just gave me the signal." (HA)

Note: That 69-yard play came 2 plays after UH scored a TD to close the deficit to 14-7.

About how his punt return TD was called back because of a roughing-the-kicker penalty, Tate said:
"What I heard afterwards was the punter was barely nicked on the play." (HSB)

About that punt return, where he broke at least 3 tackles, Tate said:
"After Armando Allen took one to the house, I was feeling good. If he could do it, I could do it. I looked back and didn't see my guys celebrate, so I figured something's gone wrong. But no big deal. We won." (HA)

HA Note: "Tate was referring to Allen's 96-yard kickoff return — the longest in Hawai'i Bowl history and the first kickoff returned for a score for Notre Dame since 2002 — that put the Fighting Irish up 49-14."

About his 3 TD receptions, Tate said:
"What sticks out in my mind is that one of my touchdowns was on something other than a fly route. We came into the game knowing they were going to be in a cover-2. That leaves the ends open and we took advantage of it." (HSB)

About setting Notre Dame bowl records with 177 receiving yards, 3 TD receptions, and a 69-yard TD catch, Tate said:
"It's great to be in the record books. I'll take it." (HA)

Happy for their seniors, sophomore Tate said:
"I'm happy for the seniors on the team. We sent them out happy and over .500 (7-6) and this is a boost for next year." (HA)

About how they are trying to get Notre Dame back to where they were, Tate said:
"We're working on bringing Notre Dame back to where it's supposed to be, and that's competing for national championships each year." (HA)

.
Praising their defense, RB Armando Allen said:
"Our defense is outstanding. They come out every week and play a hard game. We weren't surprised (at their performance) because we practice against these guys everyday. For them to perform the way they did was what we expected." (HA)

About how they ended their bowl losing streak that went all the way back to 1995, Allen said:
"That was real important," said Allen. "We've had that in mind since we found out that we were coming to the Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl." (HA)

About how their offense clicked in this game, Allen said:
"Offensively we have a lot of firepower, but sometimes we just haven't put it all together ... Today we were all on the same page." (HA)

HA Note: "Allen's 96-yard kickoff return for touchdown in the third quarter was the longest return in Hawai'i Bowl history and the first taken back for a score since 2002 for the Irish. He also made a one-handed touchdown catch earlier in the half."

.
About how their offensive coordinator left their team after this game to become the head coach at Miami (Ohio), RB Robert Hughes said:
"It's very emotional, we went out there and we tried to give our best, 110 percent. When you have the opportunity to step up to the next level and advance your career as a head coach, you've got to take the opportunity, so I'm proud for him and everyone supports him and his decision." (HA)

About how they avoided being distracted in Hawaii, Hughes said:
"When you come to Hawai'i, there's a lot of distractions. You know, whether it's the weather — everything — all the events they have lined up for you, but we came out here with one goal and the goal was to come out of here with a win." (HA)

.
About how their D gave them great field position, TE Kyle Rudolph said:
"The defense gave us a lot of great field position in the second half, gave us the short field and we were able to take advantage of that." (HA)

.
Praising their coaches, safety Kyle McCarthy (team-high 7 tackles, 6 solo tackles, with a fumble recovery and pass deflection) said:
"The coaches did a heck of a job putting the game plan together and the players, with all the time we had off, really took it to heart. After how the (regular) season ended, we really got in the film room and worked our tails off and I think it worked out today." (HA)

.
About how they were prepared for UH's offense, David Bruton (who had an INT when the game was 21-7) said:
"We were well prepared on defense. We did extra film work, even when the coaches weren't around, we did extra film work. We took the extra steps in preparation to make sure we'd come out strong." (HA)

No comments:

Post a Comment