Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Feature stories on Richard Torres

About his high school (where his father is the head football coach), Richard Torres said:
"I'm proud to be from Kahuku." (HA)

About the fans on the North Shore follow Richard Torres during his Warrior career, Kahuku grad Inoke said:
"Once a Red Raider, always a Red Raider. In the community, the kids look up to the Kahuku football players. He was one of them." (HA)

About how he lives in an apartment across the street from the Stan Sheriff Center during the season but he remains in Kahuku in his heart, Torre said:
"I love that community." (HA)

About how he was always around the Kahuku team when he was growing up, with his first job being a waterboy for the JV, Torres said:
"I remember looking up to Inoke Funaki and Leonard Peters. Being around, all you could think about was growing up and playing Red Raider football. When you actually get to do it, it's a big honor. You take pride in it." (HA)

About the barbecues he and his friends have at La'ie Point, Torres said:
"Just throw the grill in the back of the truck. A bunch of us barbecue, swim and relax. It's good fun." (HA)

About how he and his friends dive off La'ie Point
"It's way higher than Waimea. The first time I jumped off, I under-estimated it. It was like, 'Whoa, I'm still in the air.' I hit the water, and it was like, 'Aw, that hurt.' After that, it was good fun." (HA)

HA Note: "A greater leap of faith was deciding to turn down an offer of a partial scholarship from Western Oregon to join the Warriors as a non-scholarship player. Torres was a champion wrestler and judo player (he owns a first-degree black belt), but his dream was to play Division I football."

About walking on to UH, Torres said:
"Nothing is better than playing on the island. I'm still a walk-on, but everything is super good now." (HA)

About returning the onside kick in the Idaho game, returning it 25 yards to the Idaho 14, Torres said:
"I felt like I was in high school, running the option again. I saw the open field, and I was trying to get to the end zone." (HA)

About how Torres can play nickleback for them, Mouton said:
"You don't have to teach him. He pretty much knows what he's doing. He works hard. He's a technician. If he has questions, he'll ask. For the most part, he knows what he's doing." (HA)

About replacing Mouton at nickleback if Mouton has to miss the game due to injury, Torres said:
"It's hard to be a Mouton. He's so athletic and so fast. The things he can do are amazing. I'm trying to learn as much as I can." (HA)

About how Torres has earned his teammates' respect, Inoke said:
"I've seen it many times where people get to a point where they level off. He's still continuing to get better. The way he worked to get on the team is the way he's working to get better. He's disciplined. He's humble. He has a great attitude. He works his butt off. Now I'm the one looking up to him."(HA)

Surprised at all the playing time he's gotten, Torres said:
"I didn't think I'd be playing this much. I honestly thought I was redshirting." (HSB)

About how Torres learns quickly, Rich Miano said:
"He doesn't make the same mistake twice. You tell him something, it registers. The guy understands how to listen to coaching, study film and he's getting better." (HSB)

About playing nickleback in the Idaho game, Torres said:
"Once I calmed down it was like practice, but faster. Way faster." (HSB)

About how Torres' technique got the coaches attention, Mac said:
"He started catching our eye because technically and fundamental-wise he was outstanding. He's been practicing with the second unit all season, so he got his opportunity, went in and did a great job." (HSB)

About learning techniques on the way to his state titles in football, wrestling and judoka, Torres said:
"To learn the techniques you have to pay attention to details, so that helps in other sports." (HSB)

About how they selected Torres for their wedge-buster group on kickoff coverage, Ikaika Malloe said:
"He was the craziest guy I saw that was willing to knock himself out. Not only did he earn that job, but he's making sure that nobody else can take it away from him, and I think it's contagious." (HSB)

About his onside kick return in the Idaho game, Torres said:
"I just got the ball and it was instinct, follow my blockers. The first thing I thought was just catch the ball because that's my job. When I caught the ball, no one hit me so I started running. I got so excited, it was good fun. It felt like I was running quarterback again." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment