Sunday, November 30, 2008

Bess did great in his first start!

MH = Miami Herald
PBP = Palm Beach Post
SFSS = South Florida Sun-Sentinel
----------------

About not getting drafted, Bess said:
"It was pretty depressing not getting drafted, but I put that whole experience behind me." (SFSS)

SFSS Note: "Sunday, he put some Rams behind him, leading the Dolphins with six catches and showing the same stamina, sharp route-running and run-after-catch quickness that made him a staple of the free-flowing Hawaii offense. He gained 19 yards on a cross on third-and-9 to set up the first touchdown. He caught a 21-yard floater down the right sideline to set up the first field goal. And he got the Dolphins across midfield for the first time in the second half with a 37-yard reception."

After getting a team-high 6 catches for a team-high 84 yards (more than any other Dolphin had receiving or rushing, plus he had their only punt return and gained 17 yards on it), Bess said:
"They did just what we saw (on film) all week and it was just a matter of going out and executing." (PBP)

About missing his chance at a 17-yard TD at the end of the half, Bess said:
"I jumped a little too early. You get a little overanxious. My eyes lit up, I wanted it and it was there. I just got a little too excited." (PBP)

"I mistimed my jump." (SFSS)

About his 37-yard reception, Bess said:
"They lined up exactly how we thought they would. So Chad [Pennington] knew exactly where I was going to be." (SFSS)

About starting in place of the injured Camarillo, Bess said:
''It felt like a normal game. I didn't see a big difference. Similar routes. I think I was just really in a few more plays. I just needed to continue to grow, and I had more opportunities to do that.'' (MH)

About how they wanted to use this game to evaluate Bess as a starting WR, Miami head coach Tony Sparano said:
''We wanted to get Davone involved. It was a chance to evaluate him and see exactly where he is in this full-time role.'' (MH)

About how he used his increased practice reps to help him to prepare for this game, Bess said:
''I take a lot of reps in practice, so I took that over to the game knowing I had to be physically ready." (MH)

MH Note: "Sparano thought he handled man-to-man coverage very well, adding impressive runs after the catches. Bess, an undrafted rookie free agent, said he never really felt winded."

1 comment: