Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Marin Independent Journal feature on Rolo

MIJ = Marin Independent Journal

MIJ Note: "AT THE University of Hawaii, the starting quarterback is often seen as some sort of demigod. He is worshipped when things go right, which means passes find their intended target and the Warriors score more touchdowns than there are planes carrying tourists in Honolulu."

About how their team was booed by the home crowd during the SJSU game, Rolo said:
"I've been booed out of the stadium with my parents there. People (in Hawaii) love this team. They don't like being 1-3 and not playing great football. The spotlight is on you as the quarterback." (MIJ)

About how the fans are not happy now, Rolo said:
"I'm sure people aren't really happy. I'm sure there's some doubters. This hurts me as much as anyone. I didn't lose when I was here (as a quarterback) and winning is something I want to keep going." (MIJ)

About all of the different QBs that have been their #1 QB this season, Rolo said:
"It's been really crazy to be honest. It's not the standard way you pick a quarterback." (MIJ)

MIJ Note: "That's four quarterback changes in four games and none of them have had much success. Between them, they've been intercepted 11 times and thrown only four TD passes. Colt Brennan threw six TD passes in his first game last season."

MIJ Note: "Rolovich is rolling with the punches and the poi. He received advice from Jones, who sent him text messages from SMU where he now coaches, and McMackin keeps encouraging his QB coach. McMackin was the defensive coordinator at Hawaii in 1999 when he recruited Rolovich out of City College of San Francisco. But when Rolovich was flying to Hawaii to accept the scholarship, McMackin was on a plane to Texas Tech to become defensive coordinator there. Fortunately, Rolovich stayed in touch with McMackin, who coached the linebackers with the 49ers from 2003-05."

About how he kept in touch with Mack even after Mack left UH before he joined them, Rolo said:
"He made an impression on me. I knew he was with the 49ers and I'm a Niners guy." (MIJ)

About how he took the QB coach position after he figured that his playing days were over, Rolo said:
"I've always observed my coaches along the way and how much time they put into it. I had a lot of fun when I was playing. I've run the gamut." (MIJ)

MIJ Note: "Now Rolovich is settling down. His younger brother, Jack, a standout QB at San Marin High, joined him in Hawaii. He helped Nick coach at the Warriors summer football camp and now Jack is finishing his education at Hawaii-Pacific. And there's another Rolovich on the way. Nick's wife, Analea Donovan, is pregnant with their second child. With their son Daniel present, the couple were married this winter on a beach east of Diamond Head."

No comments:

Post a Comment