Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The starting OL is set!

HSB Note: "The Warriors' offensive line lined up yesterday for the first time with the five men position coach Brian Smith intends to deploy at The Swamp on Saturday -- center John Estes, guards Keith AhSoon (left) and Lafu Tuioti-Mariner (right) and tackles Laupepa Letuli (left) and Keoni Steinhoff (right)."

About choosing the starters and travel roster, Mack said:
"We worked hard to evaluate everybody. Everybody has been evaluated through spring (training) and through this camp. There's a lot of information, a lot of evaluation. I think the players trust we're going to make the right decision for the team. It's business. I don't care if (a player is) the most popular guy on the team or I like him the most on the team. It comes down to who's the best player. We want to play the best players." (HA)

Wishing that they could have set their OL starters earlier, Brian Smith said:
"I would have liked to have set the group a couple of days to a week ago. With injuries, it was tough to move a guy ahead who's not quite 100 percent yet, then have him get hurt, and sent back down. Then you're constantly swapping guys. I had to be a little more patient with it." (HA)

Letuli said that he missed 4 practices last week because of:
"little tweaks here and there with my hip." (HA)

About Letuli, Smith said:
"I like his toughness. He still has a long way to go fundamentally, (but) he's getting better with every rep. He'll be starting against Florida." (HA)

About how he needs to improve, Letuli said:
"I have to keep myself mentally prepared. I have to sharpen up." (HA)

Praising Lafu's open-handed blocking technique, Smith said:
"He's got a great punch. He's got a good anchor. He changes direction well. He's tough. He's physical. He'll start in Florida." (HA)

About earning the starting spot, Lafu said:
"It was a matter of waiting and being patient until I got my chance. I don't care about starting. I want to play and help the team." (HA)

About being named first team LT even though Kia took the first-team reps throughout camp, Letuli said:
"I wasn't expecting anything, just getting ready for the game and Coach just told me you're with the first team. I think they wanted to see how I was with the starting players and the different fronts that they give us. I just have to be mentally ready for this game." (HSB)

"Coming into camp (starting) is what I was looking at. Aaron Kia's a really good player and I had to work hard to get a spot, and I'm always looking ahead to starting on Saturdays." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Ray Hisatake had been taking reps with the first team at right guard while Tuioti-Mariner rested a calf injury, and Smith confirmed Hisatake proved himself enough during that span to warrant playing time against fifth-ranked Florida. Expect a seven-man rotation at the minimum."

About their OL rotation, Smith said:
"That's the group I'm planning on going with. Kia's going to play a bunch left, and some right, too. I'm planning on Ray getting in and playing. And we'll see from there." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment