Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Warrior News from the Advertiser

About how he has received a medical hardship that will allow him to return as a "super senior" in 2009, Daniel Otineru said:
"I'll keep working out and see what happens." (HA)

HA Note: "But while he recovers from surgery for sleep apnea, he will miss the University of Hawai'i' football team's 2008 season."

HA Note: "As a Kapolei High senior in 2004, he was diagnosed with sleep apnea, a disorder in which external breathing is suspended for brief periods. For the next few years, he slept with a specially designed mask that increased air flow."

About the designed mask that he slept with, Otineru said:
"It constantly pushed air through me, keeping my airway open." (HA)

HA Note: "As his condition worsened, it was decided he needed jaw surgery. First, he was fitted for braces. In May, he underwent a two-part surgery. The roof of his mouth was repositioned, and his jaw was broken, then reset forward a quarter inch. Then came the difficult part: his mouth was wired shut for six weeks. During that time, he consumed protein shakes."

About having his jaw wired shut for 6 weeks, Otineru said:
"That was hard — not being able to talk and eat. It was pretty depressing every time I opened up the fridge." (HA)

HA Note: "He lost 30 pounds, going from 295 to 265."

About how he's resumed eating solid foods and is up to 275 pounds now, Otineru said:
"Everything is much better. But my jaw doesn't seem the same. I don't feel I have as much room in my mouth anymore." (HA)

HA Note: "It has been a difficult past year for Otineru. Last October, he suffered a tear to his right biceps. He was required to wear a metal brace; some jokingly referred to him as "Edward Scissorhands." "

About how hi situation is good now, Otineru (who was expected to compete at RG) said:
"It's cool now. I'm going to play again. I'll use this season to work out and get my strength and conditioning back." (HA)

HA Note: "Brett Symonds, a graduate of Chaparral High School, is set to report to training camp Aug. 4, making him the third kicker from the southwest California town to play for the Warriors. Eric Hannum and Dan "The Iceman" Kelly were raised in Temecula. Symonds turned down scholarship offers from Weber State and Idaho State to enroll at UH as a walk-on. He said he welcomes the opportunity to serve as an apprentice during Kelly's senior season."

About spending a year learning from Dan Kelly, Symonds said:
"It's really nice to have a guy like Dan Kelly around. I grew up with him in Temecula. He'll help show me the ropes, get acclimated." (HA)

HA Note: "Symonds, who is 5 feet 11 and 150 pounds, converted a 43-yarder in game last year. During warmups, he converted from 55 yards off a 1-inch block and 57 yards off the ground."

About Symonds, Kelly said:
"I've never seen a guy that small in stature kick a ball as far and hard as he does. He's already light years ahead of where I was coming into my freshman year." (HA)

About how Symonds worked in a grocery store in Temecula last summer but found time to work out with him, Kelly said:
"During his hour lunch break, he would go to my old (high) school, change in the car, kick with me for 45 minutes, then go back to work. He used his lunch break to work out." (HA)

HA Note: "Kelly and Symonds are the only placekickers on the training-camp roster. Tim Grasso, who spent the spring semester in Utah, is the only punter."

No comments:

Post a Comment