Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Billy Ray Stutzmann commits to UH!

About his commitment to UH, Billy Ray said:
"Yes, I'm going to be a Warrior." (HA)

"Everything that I wanted in a college is at UH. I just love the coaches there. I got to know all of the coaches there. They're great people and great coaches. I love what they're doing with the place. They're building all new things." (HA)

HA Note: "This is one of the earliest a prospect has committed to the Warriors, and it coincides with the hiring of Tony Tuioti as director of player personnel. Under Greg McMackin, who was hired as head coach in January, the Warriors have made a commitment to signing the state's top players."

HA Note: "Stutzmann, a 6-foot-1, 150-pound wideout, also received offers from Washington, Washington State, Oregon State, Colorado and Michigan State. A Notre Dame coach made a home visit."

Billy Ray said that it was important:
"to play in front of my family and friends. That's a big part of it." (HA)

About his older brother Craig, a former Warrior WR and a current graduate assistant (who is the WR coach), Billy Ray said:
"I watched every one of my brother's games. Ever since he went to Hawai'i, I wanted to be a part of that. He gave me a few tips." (HA)

About how Billy Ray told him the news yesterday, his father Bill said:
"He came and sat Craig and I down. Craig said: 'Just tell me why.' He rattled off some some really good, well thought-out reasons. We said, 'All right, it's your choice, go for it.' " (HA)

"I'm excited about it. I wanted him to go to UH. We're so delighted. I'm so proud of Billy." (HA)

About how the early commit takes the pressure off of his son, Bill said:
"That's another thing — getting calls and letters every day. The mailbox is always full. He doesn't even open them anymore. He can go out and have fun his senior year." (HA)

About how Billy Ray is considering graduating in December, allowing him to enroll at UH in January and participate in spring training, Bill said:
"That's another plus. He's trying to get a head start. It's a great situation." (HA)

HA Note: "He said McMackin approved his son's request to wear jersey No. 5, which will be vacated by senior slotback Michael Washington after this season."

Asked what would happen in Maiti Te'o (Billy Ray's good friend who also wears #5) asked to wear #5 also, Bill said:
"Coach Mack said (Te'o) could wear No. 5 on defense." (HA)

No comments:

Post a Comment