Saturday, April 26, 2008

Spring Quotes from the local papers

About he came up with the idea to have the Lee brothers face off in the Warrior Bowl, Mack said:
"It seemed like a natural to me. They're both coordinators. They're both well known in the state. I thought it would build more interest, and get more people excited." (HA)

About how he cannot remember the last time he had a fight with his brother, Ron Lee said:
"If we had any disagreements, it was probably about football. But nothing big." (HA)


About his friendship with his brother, Cal Lee said:
"We're close. We're best-friend-kind-of stuff. I want the best for him. He wants the best for me." (HA)

HA Note: "Both attended the same college, and they coached together at Kaiser High School and then Saint Louis School. They built Saint Louis into the most dominant football program in Hawai'i history. During the 1990s, they also worked together at the Outrigger Hotel's Main Showroom."

About how he's worked with his brother for so long, Cal Lee said:
"I probably see him more than I see my wife." (HA)

Their father Thomas Lee said about Cal and Ron:
"I don't want to show any favoritism. I love them both. They're both good boys. No black sheep in the family." (HA)

About how he and his wife spent most of their time cheering on their 3 sons (Tommy Lee Jr. recently retired as Montana Western's head coach), Thomas Lee said:
"I never had a social life. All of my life was with my boys. Take one there. Pick one up. Back and forth. My life was running around. But I'm not sorry. I love it. We give the TV a rest. We go to football." (HA)

HA Note: "Thomas Lee has attended UH football games for several decades. He remembered paying 80 cents for an end-zone seat at Honolulu Stadium."

Thomas said that he and his group of friends are:
"regulars at Aloha Stadium. We go early and stay late. We avoid the traffic. I enjoy that. I have a good life. I'm so blessed. I thank the Lord every day to be blessed with three good boys." (HA)

Asked how long the Black team's QB will be in the shotgun, Ron Lee aid:
"It depends on how long (Green pass-rusher) John Fonoti plays. Our plan is to run away from John." (HA)

Praising Brashton Satele's performance this Spring, Ron Lee said:
"He's going to be outstanding. "Looking at our (video) cutups, what he's doing against (the offense), wow, he might be having the best spring of them all." (HA)

HA Note: "Lee said that Kiesel-Kauhane, who benches a team-high 455 pounds, and C.J. Allen-Jones, who moved from outside linebacker, are quick off-the-perimeter rushers."

Praising the progress Tyler has made, Rolo said:
"Tyler has bought in the last few days. He's made a lot of improvements. He ended the spring with his two best practices." (HA)

About how he's learned a lot this Spring Practice, Tyler said:
"It's been a good spring. There's been a lot of learning, and a lot of changes, obviously. We want to end it good, end it right. It doesn't matter who wins — even though the Green is going to win — we're going to have fun out there." (HA)

About Dowling, George Lumpkin said:
"He's going to be a corner. He's a big corner, but he has the ability to stay low. I don't think we've had a guy that tall who can do what he can do. He has great feet." (HA)

About Lolotai, Lumpkin said:
"He's our only middle [LB]. He's all we need." (HA)

About how he doesn't have a backup on his team, Lolotai said:
"I actually don't have any backup, so I'll be digging deep. It should be good, but it will be tough. There's a lot of guys without backups." (HSB)

HA Note: "Kelly will finally get to show off his full menu of skills. He doubles as the punter. He has been receiving tips from Tim Grasso, last year's punter, who is visiting this week. Grasso has earned enough credits to spend the spring semester in his native Utah, where he is a junior-varsity baseball coach. Grasso reports to training camp in August."

About how Inoke and Tyler are close in their battle for the #1 spot, Rolo said:
"They're very close. Both could probably use a little of each other. Tyler's the gunslinger, a little reckless sometimes. Inoke's conservative on his reads." (HSB)


HSB Note: "Walk-on cornerback MacArthur Cheek probably needs a monster game to avoid being cut, but the effervescent sophomore from New Haven, Conn., has the right attitude."

Looking forward to his chance to play in the Warrior Bowl, MacArthur Cheek said:
"I came out here last year, wanted to do something different, a new experience. This game is an opportunity to shine and show I can play. I've had the chance to learn some technique this spring. High school football was just run around and play." (HSB)

Asked what he will do if he gets cut, Cheek said:
"Just dust yourself off and try again. I'll have 10 months to work hard and give it a go again." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment