Sunday, April 20, 2008

Spring Practice Quotes from the local papers

About the shovel pass, Rolo said:
"That's been a good play for us through the years." (HA)

HA Note: "The Warriors worked it to perfection on the first of a 35-play controlled scrimmage, with running back Leon Wright-Jackson breaking away for a long gain. While the defense continues to be ahead entering the final week of spring training, the improving offense is showing that, if nothing else, it has a play that is a great equalizer.vTo be precise, it is a "shuffle" play, although the pass is called a "shovel." It is a play that is a counter-attack to a blitzing defense. The offense waits for the pass-rushers to storm into the backfield. Then the quarterback pitches forward the ball to an on-the-move running back, who follows a wall of blockers into the open field. Last year, the Warriors had a yards-after-catch average of 14.52 on shovel passes."

About their D in the scrimmage (which sat our the first-team defenders), LWJ said:
"I knew our defense was coming at full speed. That's how our defense is. It's a defense that is very hungry." (HA)

HA Note: "Quarterback Inoke Funaki started behind the center, then stepped back to take the shotgun snap. Funaki rolled to his left and pitched ahead to Wright-Jackson, who was set free by left tackle Aaron Kia's block."

About opening the scrimmage with a shovel pass, Inoke said:
"I was really excited about that first play. It works better when you're in the shotgun, and (the defense is) shooting upfield. We executed it really well, from the blocking to Leon's position. Sometimes it's difficult to get the ball right on the money. (The pass) hit (Wright-Jackson) right on the inside shoulder so he could turn and get up field. It was nice. Hopefully, we can get to that level where we can execute every play that good." (HA)

HA Note: "After that, it was an even battle. The defense still made big plays — safety Kenny Estes intercepted a Tyler Graunke pass and broke up what should have been a sure completion to Jon Medeiros — and fueled the pressure, blitzing on every down."

Rolo said that the constant blitzing by the D:
"is a little tough on the quarterback, but they have to handle it. They did a good job." (HA)

HA Note: "The co-No. 1 quarterbacks, Funaki and Graunke, shared about a fourth of the snaps. Jake Santos, the No. 3 quarterback, Shane Austin, Bryce Kalauokaaea and Kiran Kepo'o also played. It was the first significant appearance for Kepo'o, who spent most of last season recovering from head injuries suffered in an accident. Kepo'o completed one of two passes for 21 yards. Greg Salas, who is the No. 1 left wideout, and right slotback Kealoha Pilares, who moved from running back, also played well. Salas had a 30-yard play in which he bounced off three would-be tacklers. Salas has gained more than a dozen pounds since the Jan. 1 Sugar Bowl, and at 205 pounds, he has the strength — and confidence — to run slant patterns into the teeth of the defense."

About running slant patterns, Salas said:
"If you're afraid to go across the middle, you're not going to catch too many balls. You can't be scared out there." (HA)

Praising Salas, Rolo said:
"I'm impressed with Salas. People look up to him. He's doing the right things. He's not a real vocal guy, but people look up to him and learn from him. He's tough. He's strong. He has strong hands. He's tough to bring down." (HA)

About how he still has a lot to learn about playing the slotback position, Pilares said:
"I feel I didn't make the right moves after the catch. I have standards. I could have had bigger plays. I'll get better as the days go by." (HA)

Unhappy with his run after he caught an out route, Pilares said:
"I was heading upfield. I had the (defender) stopped, and I tried to cut back in. I have to trust in my little speed that I've got to try and out-run him. I could have done it." (HA)

About how he's bulked up to 193 and hopes to play at that weight, Pilares said:
"It's a good weight. I'm building up my legs more than anything. I go into the weight room, and all I'll do is legs. I'm trying to emphasize getting my legs stronger so I can break more tackles." (HA)

HA Note: "After the scrimmage, head coach Greg McMackin praised the development of the offense. Except for the opening shovel pass, the quarterback was under center for all but two of the remaining plays."


HSB Note: "The transition from running back to slot receiver continues for Kealoha Pilares. The sophomore had five receptions for approximately 50 yards in the team period and the scrimmage, catching passes from four different quarterbacks. He made a nice grab of a pass thrown behind him from Tyler Graunke and turned upfield for a sizable gain and later connected with Kiran Kepo'o on a 20-yard completion."

About their offense this spring, Pilares said:
"The offense is just trying to find the chemistry between the receivers and the quarterbacks. Once we do that we'll be fine. Last week we didn't come out that strong. This week we have a feeling for what we're going to do and just getting more comfortable. All the guys are reacting more than just thinking about what they're doing." (HSB)

Praising the offense in the scrimmage, Mack said:
"The offense made a lot of good plays. The receivers ran good routes. (The quarterbacks) are throwing it so much better. We were blitzing the whole time. I'm really pleased. I have a lot of faith in Ron Lee and the offensive staff. There's a lot of coaching going on, and you can see the progression. It's a matter of getting more and more reps. I can see in the last week we made a giant leap on offense. Defensively, we've continued to improve. We're making plays on both sides of the ball." (HA)

About how he considered quitting football last year due to family problems, Elliott Purcell said:
"I didn't want it to be an open thing. Coach (June) Jones didn't know what was going on with me. He thought I was slacking. I was having family problems." (HA)

About how everything improved when his son Taimane (now 6 months old) was born, Elliott said:
"(The birth) helped me become more focused. I'm more dedicated. I don't go out anymore. It's strictly family, school and football." (HA)

HA Note: "The former Saint Louis School standout has emerged as the No. 2 defensive right end. He has developed into a skilled pass-rusher. What's more, he is playing with more emotion, as evidenced by his scuffle with Kia yesterday."

About his confrontation with Kia yesterday, Elliott said:
"I got upset. I let my emotions take over. I'm sorry about that. We're good friends. We're best friends off the field. Whatever happens on the field, stays on the field." (HA)

Happy with Mack's policy allowing contact in their scrimmages, Erik Pederson said:
"Any time we have scrimmages it feels real easy for me, just run full speed and hit the runner. Other practices we just have to touch off, (in scrimmages) we actually finish the play off, so my instincts come through more." (HSB)

HSB Note: "With the starters out for most of the heavy contact, the scrimmages represent a chance for Pedersen to make some noise while playing with the second unit at outside linebacker. Pedersen is entering his fourth year in the program and hopes he's finally found a home. He joined the Warriors as a defensive back and has changed positions five times since then, shuffling between linebacker and safety, and spending one season as a running back. He began last season in the secondary, but requested to move back to linebacker early in the season."

About moving to LB, Pedersen said:
"I feel much more comfortable. I'm more of a guy who likes to go up instead of backwards. The (coaches) were cool with it. (McMackin) said, 'If you feel more comfortable there, go for it.' " (HSB)

About his increased reps (he's taken a lot of the reps made available by Blaze's injury), Pedersen said:
"It's really awesome for the coaches to give me an opportunity like that. Especially on Saturdays." (HSB)

About Calvin Roberts, who is now #1 on the depth chart, Mack said:
"Calvin Roberts has really come a long way now. He's No. 1 at the right corner. Jameel Dowling's jumping out. Dowling's pushing for No. 1 and JoPierre's still in the mix. There's not much separating them." (HSB)

About the UH coaching clinic, which more than 400 youth and high school coaches attended, Roosevelt WR coach Alex Miguel (who noted that the $10 fee included lunch) said:
"It was really a good deal for $10. It was very good overall and all you have to do is learn one thing and it makes it worth it." (HSB)

About how having a coaching clinic benefits UH, Kahuku coach Reggie Torres said:
"I used to come when (Dick) Tomey used to run it. It's good they're doing this again and trying to make a relationship with the high school coaches and McMackin is making a strong push to try to get local kids and help the local coaches. I learned a lot of things. All my coaches did. We're excited, we want to get on the field already." (HSB)

HSB Note: "They knew Adrian Thomas was athletic enough. Mike Cavanaugh raved about his agile feet. They knew he was strong enough. Brian Smith gets a laugh when he recalls Thomas' recruiting tape, which features a segment of Thomas running up a sand hill, carrying his trainer. Now, more than two years after his arrival from Australia, the Hawaii coaching staff wants to know if Thomas is ready to play meaningful downs on its offensive line. The 6-foot-5, 315-pound sophomore got the majority of the plays at right tackle in yesterday's scrimmage. Senior Keoni Steinhoff is a returning starter at the position, but Greg McMackin wants to see everyone under fire."

About trying out Adrian Thomas at #1 RT, Mack said:
"I wanted the ones to work out, but I wanted the guys we've got to make decisions on, let those guys play." (HSB)

About trying Thomas at #1 RT, Brian Smith said:
"This was a tool for us to evaluate. Adrian's had a real good spring so far. He's big, strong and fairly athletic. So I think he's still a little bit away. But if he keeps improving, keeps getting better he's going to push some of these guys. Football's pretty new to him. He's still learning the fundamentals, but he's a competitor, he's strong and he really wants to be good so he's working hard at it. He's got a real good future here." (HSB)

HBS Note; "Not counting Cavanaugh, Smith is Thomas' third position coach, following Wes Suan and Dennis McKnight. He said that has helped rather than hindered his development."

About how he's learned from his 3 OL coaches at UH, Thomas said:
"I just try to take what I can learn from each of them. It's been a good experience. In some ways it's similar to back home. I'm glad I came to Hawaii to play football." (HSB)

About how he did in the scrimmage, Thomas said:
"I did OK, just working on my technique, the extension of my hands, punching. I've just watched the other guys, see what they do and follow them." (HSB)

Praising Thomas, Steinhoff said:
"Adrian, he's doing good. He's going to be really good if he keeps getting the amount of reps like he got today." (HSB)

About how the offense struggled yesterday, partly due to holding out Estes and Steinhoff, Brian Smith said:
"It shows fast. Communication. There were some holes here and there. But the good thing is the kids were competing and fighting. We exchange scripts, so we know what's coming. We struggled a little bit today. I think we took a step back." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Still, head coach Greg McMackin lauded Smith's work with the offensive line's technique, and said it may be the team's most improved unit. The top of the chart players at quarterback, receiver and running back saw plenty of action, as McMackin wants them to develop timing. But backups got most of the repetitions on defense. Cornerback Calvin Roberts continued to impress, and McMackin said he has officially taken the lead in the three-way competition for the starting spot on the right. Despite a ferocious rush, quarterback Inoke Funaki competed 10 of 12 passes in the scrimmage and the earlier blitz period -- but the last one was to himself, after linebacker Tyson Kafentzis tipped the ball. Kafentzis had two sacks earlier in the session."

Asked if he ever caught his own pass before, Inoke said:
"Never, never. I just didn't want Tyson to get that ball. I know I wouldn't hear the end of it the rest of the year." (HSB)

About their offense, Inoke said:
"We're slowly progressing. I think Wednesday and Thursday we made some strides. There's a lot more things we can do to improve, especially me." (HSB)

About how Vaughn Meatoga was supported by his teammates and girlfriend after the death of his mother, Vaughn's father Kenny Meatoga said:
"That was good for Vaughn because at least he didn't have to go through it by himself." (HSB)

Praising Meatoga's progress, DL coach Ikaika Malloe said:
"He's coming into his own. He's definitely grown a lot from the first time I met him to now. In just a few months, he's come a long way." (HSB)

About his Mom, Meatoga said:
"I want everybody to know her, because she fought. ... I think of my mom all the time."

HSB Note: "It's been nearly four months since Lynette Meatoga finally succumbed in her lengthy battle with breast cancer, but "it feels like a whole lot longer," the oldest of her three children says. Though the emotions remain hard to contain, Vaughn doesn't shy away from talking about his mother, instead wanting to relate the strength she showed through the ordeal."

About how his Mom, Meatoga said:
"She wasn't scared when she passed away, she was at peace. It was a whole lot easier on me and my family. It could have been harder on us, but she was strong." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Buoyed by support from his teammates and motivated by the memory of a mother who found joy in watching him play, the promising freshman is back on the field this spring, recently elevated to the second unit following an injury to junior Rocky Savaiiagaea. If the Kamehameha graduate continues his progress since breaking into the program as a redshirt last fall, he'll be in contention for a spot in UH's defensive line rotation when the season rolls around in August."

Praising Meatoga, Malloe said:
"Vaughn is one of the most improved defensive tackles in terms of picking up the techniques and then executing them on the field. He's been impressing us day by day." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Malloe lists Meatoga's quickness at the line of scrimmage and improving technique among the attributes that have him ascending the depth chart. For his part, Meatoga credits a season spent adjusting to the speed of the college game for his progress this spring."

About his improvement, Meatoga said:
"Since I've been getting more reps, everything's more natural now. Last year when I'd get reps during team (periods) I'd feel like I couldn't keep up, everything felt a lot faster. This year, everything seems to slow down and I can read my keys." (HSB)

HSB Note: "As he develops on the field, Meatoga also brings a maturity fostered during his youth after his mother was first diagnosed with cancer when he was a seventh-grader. His father, Kenneth, started working with Aloha Airlines -- which made it easier for Lynette to get to Oahu for treatments -- and Vaughn was often responsible for the household at night, looking after his younger siblings, Kelly (now 11) and Kaleomana (9), while also caring for his mom at their Kalaheo home."

About how Meatoga had to grow up quickly, his father Kenneth said:
"He had to grow up fast. He's a good boy. When there's a job to do he's going to do it. He understands. (HSB)

About how he set an example for his younger siblings, Meatoga said:
"I try to set an example for my little brother and my litter sister. I see my dad working hard to support the family and it makes me work harder to do my part. Since I'm on scholarship, I've got the easy job. He has to hold down the house. I just have to go to class and get good grades and practice hard." (HSB)

HBS Note: "Though weakened by the illness, Lynette looked forward to the family's weekend trips to Honolulu for his high school games as Vaughn earned second-team All-State honors as a senior. They also attended a few practices when Vaughn joined the Warriors last fall. The day before she died, Vaughn recalled his mom scolding him for thinking about not attending the Sugar Bowl following the Warriors' 12-0 regular season."

About how Vaughn's Mom supported him, Vaughn's Father Kenneth said:
"Even when she was going through the chemo and stuff, she made it a point to make it to every game. She would tell him to pretend the guy on the other side was the cancer to fire him up. He's just waiting to let loose on somebody and I wouldn't want to be that guy." (HSB)

HSB Note: "When doctors informed the family that Lynette didn't have much time left, Vaughn found support from his Warrior teammates, who came down to the hospital to spend time with her. And their backing helped Vaughn through the period after her death."

About how his teammates helped him after his Mom's passing, Meatoga said:
"They helped a lot. I just called Keala (Watson) and they came down and prayed for her. They've kind of been through it with me, they've been by my side and I know they have my back." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment