Saturday, February 23, 2008

Quotes from the local papers about the combine

About weighing in at 207 at the combine, Colt said:
"I'm happy with that." (HA)

HA Note: "Brennan also was officially listed as standing 6 feet 2 1/3. There were concerns when Brennan weighed 185 pounds at last month's Senior Bowl. Brennan said a stomach flu caused him to lose "five or six pounds" in the days leading to the Senior Bowl workouts. Brennan said he went on a high-protein diet in which he took supplements and, at a minimum, ate three specially prepared meals and three snacks each day."

About his eating schedule before the combine, Colt said:
"As long as I eat what I've been given, I can do whatever I want to gain extra weight. I made a couple of trips to In-N-Out Burger here and there. Now I'm trying to convert everything to muscle, and get as big as I can." (HA)


About Colt, James Harris (Jaguars VP of player personnel) said:
"He's an NFL-type quarterback. We want to see if he can adjust to a more NFL-style offense." (HA)

Harris said that Colt's arm is strong enough to:
"make all of the throws." (HA)

Harris talked about what their primary focus on Colt is for the combine:
"We want to see how he does when he's under center and dropping back and reading." (HA)


NY Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said about Colt:
"We want to study him." (HA)

HA Note: "With several hundred media attending, the ballroom was set up like a Lollapalooza concert. There were two stages, with rows of tables in between. Quarterbacks Matt Ryan of Boston College, Erik Ainge of Tennessee and Brian Brohm of Louisville gave their interviews from the podium. Brennan, wearing a gray NFL-issued sweatshirt, chose to conduct his interview at a round table. Brennan answered questions about his legal problems in Colorado, being pigeon-holed as a system" quarterback, and whether Krispy Kreme was part of his diet."

About life, Colt said:
"I think life is really two things: what you're given and what you do with it." (HA)


Rivers said that the NFL requested that he get an MRI on his lower back:
"They're going to do it at one of the hospitals here." (HA)

HA Note: "Rivers was held out of UH's game against Idaho Sept. 29 because of lower-back tightness. Rivers said the injury did not cause further problems, and that he feels he is healthy."

About why the NFL asked for the MRI, Rivers said:
"They want me to take the MRI as a follow-up." (HA)

About measuring at 6'1", 200-pounds, Rivers said:
"It's exactly where I want to be." (HA)

HA Note: "Rivers said he will focus on the running drills tomorrow. He will not participate in the lifting events today."

About seeing the snow, Bess said:
"I was excited, man. I've never been in snow before. This is actually pretty tight." (HA)

About his reaction when he grabbed some snow, Bess said:
"I put my hand in some snow, but my fingers felt like they were going to fall off. It was so cold." (HA)


About how he will do both the weight-lifting and sprints at the combine, Bess said about doing the 225-pound reps:
"I feel confident I can do a good amount. If a team is evaluating me, they'll say, 'OK, he did everything.' A lot of receivers here are not going to bench press." (HA)


About hiw weight gain, Colt told Rivals.com:
"I told a lot of people ... I wasn't joking around when I told them I got sick down there at the Senior Bowl. I started putting weight back on right away, and I've probably put on a good, solid 15 pounds in the month. ... I still think I can get bigger." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Brennan has been getting mixed reviews regarding his interviews. Some scouts say his willingness to speak out is a plus. One veteran scout said Brennan's explanation regarding a dorm incident with a co-ed that got him kicked out at Colorado left his team's management types shaking their heads. "They felt he portrayed himself as the victim too much," the scout said. Others like the fact that Brennan is willing to speak his mind on a variety of subjects."

No comments:

Post a Comment