Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ikaika Malloe is the Warriors' DL and Special Teams coach

About his job at UH, Malloe (1992 Kamehameha grad, his wife Tara is also a Kamehameha grad) said:
"It's a dream job for me." (HA)

"Just to come back home, that’s a blessing, and obviously to try to maintain the winning ways (at UH), that’s another honor. I can’t explain in words just how happy I am to be home. It’s always been a dream of mine to come home and coach for my hometown." (HSB)

About his 3 kids, Malloe said:
"Now they get to spend time with the cousins and aunties and uncles." (HA)

About how he kept cheering for UH, Malloe said:
"Sometimes I’d have a hard time staying up because UH plays so late our time. But anytime we got to watch, we were cheering just like we were in the stands. No matter where we were, we were always representing Hawaii." (HSB)

Excited about his job at UH, Malloe (UTEP's DL coach the past 5 seasons) said:
"I'm really excited about this opportunity. I hope to bring enthusiasm, and help maintain the winning tradition. I'm not a savior. I'm not replacing anybody. I'm not there to be somebody else. I'm there to help as much as I can, and help Hawai'i continue the winning ways." (HA)

HA Note: "Malloe was an All-State safety at Kamehameha Schools. He played cornerback, safety and linebacker at Washington."

HSB Note: "Malloe walked on at Washington and eventually earned a starting job in the secondary. He was named the Huskies’ hardest hitter for three seasons, led the team in interceptions as a sophomore and won the program’s most inspirational player award.

After sticking around the program for a five-year stint as a student and graduate assistant, he got his first full-time coaching job at Western Illinois. In three years with the Leathernecks, he spent time as defensive line coach and special teams coordinator and supervising the strength and conditioning program for a year. His term at UTEP under head coach Mike Price followed. Through the years, Malloe maintained contact with UH assistant Cal Lee and jumped at the chance when a position opened on the Warriors staff."

About being offered a graduate assistant stop at U-Dub after his playing career ended, Malloe said he requested to work with the DL:
"The one position I didn't know was defensive line. I fell in love with it." (HA)

Malloe said that a defensive lineman:
"can't avoid contact. Every play, you have a deciding factor in it, good or bad. That was a challenge for me." (HA)

HA Note: "Malloe was on the Washington coaching staff for five years, before joining Western Illinois as defensive line coach and then special teams coordinator."

About getting a job at UTEP after U-Dub DC Tim Hundley moved from U-Dub to UTEP in 2004, Malloe said:
"It's funny how the world works." (HA)

HA Note: "In El Paso, Malloe broadened his recruiting contacts. When the Miners were members of the Western Athletic Conference, Malloe recruited in Utah and Southern California, from San Diego to Ontario. When the Miners moved to Conference USA, Malloe was assigned East Texas and Louisiana. He said he worked the triangle of Dallas to Shreveport to Houston. He averaged four to five signings per year."

About recruiting, Malloe said:
"I love recruiting." (HA)

Malloe said that recruing in such diverse areas:
"helped to gain experience not only in getting past the door but also closing the door in recruiting." (HA)

HA Note: "Malloe said he enjoyed his stay in El Paso, where head coach Mike Price created a family-friendly atmosphere. The UTEP staff was given off the month of July, a vacation time the Malloes spent in Hawai'i."

About spending each July in Hawaii, Malloe said:
"It was good to bring my family home. You're talking about things you cannot put a price to." (HA)

About going back to El Paso after a month in Hawaii, Malloe said:
"Every time we'd come back (to El Paso), we'd have to bring back our own rice and shoyu." (HA)

About how he told Cal Lee he was interested in the job, Malloe said:
"When the opportunity came about where they might have a defensive line opening, I told him I was very interested. I had a lot of help from (Price). Being that I’m from here, he knew that it was a dream of mine to one day come back and coach at home. He called Coach McMackin at least five or six times trying to get me an interview, trying to get me an opportunity to come home." (HSB)

About the last football game between UH and UTEP (in El Paso in 2004), Malloe said:
"I couldn't wait to see coach (Cal) Lee, even though we were competing. I'm so proud of the (UH) program. I hoped one day I'd have an opportunity to come home." (HA)

HA Note: "That came after Greg McMackin was named UH head coach. At the recommendation of Hundley, McMackin's close friend, the Warriors received permission to contact Malloe. UTEP's Price, as much as he valued Malloe, declined to stand in the way."

About how Hawaii is special, Malloe said:
"No matter where I'm at — Washington, Illinois or El Paso — my heart has always been in Hawai'i." (HA)

HA Note: "Malloe is expected to energize the Warriors' special teams. He said UH's schemes will be designed in consultation with McMackin."

About changing their special teams, Malloe said:
"We will be an attacking special teams. We're going after blocks. We'll try to return kicks for touchdowns." (HA)

About getting the "hidden yards" to win field position on each punt and kickoff, Malloe said:
"My goal, every game, is to win those hidden yards. We want to get first downs [gains of more than 10 yards] on punt returns. Those things people take for granted have an effect on the game." (HA)

About his troubles at Washington, Malloe said:
"It helped me build character and just understanding where I stand. I’m thankful for what I’ve got. They are old news but it’ll never leave me, that’s just part of life. The things that were bad at the time for me are good right now. Those are things that helped me become the man I am now." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Malloe got into a couple of scrapes while coaching at Washington, one involving long-distance phone calls -- his portion of which he paid back in full -- and another dealing with his participation in an NCAA Tournament pool. He said those matters have been settled and he’s been able to grow from those experiences."

No comments:

Post a Comment