Thursday, January 24, 2008

Fox Sports article on Colt

Colt said that his Senior Bowl performance:
"will determine how pro coaches and scouts look at me." (Fox Sports)

Colt said that QB prospects Andre Woodson and Eric Ainge are the ones under:
"a lot of pressure. For me, it's just fun." (Fox Sports)

FS Note: "Some analysts believe Brennan can translate his standout play at the University of Hawaii into NFL success. Skeptics label Brennan a "system quarterback" who will suffer the same fate as Andre Ware, David Klingler and Kliff Kingsbury and other failed college stars from run-and-shoot schemes.

About criticism that he is a system QB, Colt said:
"We're all system quarterbacks. I think I ran the system really well. I look at some things I did and obviously I had a real high completion percentage and was very efficient. No matter what system you're in, that's very key." (FS)

FS Note: "Brennan had a 70.4 completion percentage with an NCAA-record 131 touchdown passes. He also threw only 42 interceptions in 1,584 pass attempts."

Comparing Colt to Jeff Garcia, NFLdraftscout.com analyst Rob Rang said:
"The question with Colt is the arm strength, but I think he has enough of it. Anything within 20 yards or so, he's OK. Once you get to 25 yards, that's where his ball starts to flutter. But the vast majority of NFL passes -- at least on a rope -- are within 20 yards. He's very intelligent and anticipates openings in the field. He's very accurate and has poise and touch. He makes different types of throws, not just dink-and-dunk types of passes." (FS)

Not worried about Colt's sidearm delivery getting his passes batted down by NFL defenses, Mike Nolan said:
"On the intermediate and short game, he's pretty quick with the release and gets it out. That's key." (FS)

FS Note: "Having made Alex Smith the No. 1 pick in the 2005 draft, Nolan is familiar with the obstacles that must be overcome by college quarterbacks who come from non-NFL systems. Smith was a star in Urban Meyer's spread offense at Utah but has struggled in three seasons with the 49ers."

About Alex Smith's struggles with the 49ers, Nolan said:
"There's an adjustment. Some make it better than others. From what I've seen, (Brennan) has been OK. I think his improvement this week has been dramatic." (FS)

About his adjustment to the offense used in the Senior Bowl, Colt said:
"Unlike some of these other guys who came from traditional offenses, I really haven't had any experience. Obviously, there are a lot of question marks. If I have a good week of practice and do good in the game, it could answer a lot. Can he play in a different type of system? Can he play under center? And hopefully going through the interview process, I can impress the coaches with my character." (FS)

Note: In addition to the flu that made him lose a lot of weight, Fox Sports reports that Colt has a hip pointer injury!

About Colt's problems at Colorado, Rang said:
"From the people I've talked to, he's more mature now. Some guys on the Hawaii team would die for this kid. He's just a natural, charismatic type of leader and they rally around him. I think it's one of the reasons he's been so successful." (FS)

About his critics, Colt said:
"If people doubt you, it's fun going out here and trying to show them up. It definitely drives me. I love when people keep driving me." (FS)

No comments:

Post a Comment