Thursday, January 24, 2008

ESPN Interview of Colt

About Georgia's speed, size and skill on D was far better than what they had seen all season, Colt said:
"We weren't ready for that. I wasn't ready for that." (ESPN)

About how the Sugar Bowl loss might be good for him in the long run, Colt said:
"Adversity is something that doesn't really scare me. It doesn't really bring me down. The only thing that bowl game did for me was that it gave me great motivation and determination for these next few months. The fact that we lost that game and the way we lost it kind of brought me back down a level. I've really attacked my workouts and been able to get ready. This is my chance to show what I can do when everything's the same for everybody." (ESPN)

Comparing Colt to Drew Brees, Washington Redskins' associate head coach and offensive coordinator Al Saunders said:
"What you're looking to see in this environment is accuracy and how he handles it with a lot of different people. He reminds me a lot of Drew Brees, a guy who's been in the shotgun for his college career and never been under the center. Now, he's in a different environment and coached by another group of NFL coaches. June [Jones] did a great job with him and speaks very highly of him, and you can't discount how productive he's been during his college career. This is a big step for him, another part of the evaluation process. Let's see how he handles it." (ESPN)

About the focus on him being under center, Colt said:
"Nobody thinks I can play from under center anyway. So if I go out and have success next to these guys who've been playing in a traditional pro offense in college, it's going to say, 'This kid came out here in a week and got real good at it.'" (ESPN)

About how he wants to gain weight, Colt said:
"I want to get above 200 pounds by the draft." (ESPN)

Sad that his career had to end with the Sugar Bowl loss, but remembering the good times, Colt said:
"It's not the way you want to end your career. But when I stepped away and looked at everything that happened, it just showed us how far we came. To watch our band and watch our fans … that's something I'll take with me the rest of my life. It's like the old saying, 'I'd rather have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.'" (ESPN)

About how none of the 5 BCS bowl games were close, Colt said:
"So it's not like Hawaii was the fluke." (ESPN)

About how it is sad that JJ left UH, but how he thinks that UH needed that to happen before it would change, Colt said:
"I think it's sad because it's the end of a great era. Coach Jones did so much for that program. But at the same time, it's the kind of shake-up that I think the school needed. I mean, how can a coach take you to the Sugar Bowl and he's waiting for his contract?" (ESPN)

ESPN Note: "Brennan called the facilities at Hawaii "a joke" and said things were so bad that players were racking up thousands of dollars in parking tickets when they went to practice in the mornings."

About how the blame goes beyond HF, Colt said:
"I never intended for my athletic director to get fired. I intended it to be felt upstairs with the administration and where the money gets handed down. I wanted to say, 'Look, you need to do more for the program. You've got the money. Why is it all falling apart?' Hawaii is a special place. What they pride themselves on is being very simple and enjoying what they have. That shouldn't be taken advantage of. Just because Hawaii can be successful with little money, that shouldn't be taken advantage of. We should have started a lot earlier to make the [football] environment around us better." (ESPN)

No comments:

Post a Comment