Thursday, November 1, 2007

Quotes from the Hawaii papers, the Idaho Statesman, and the Associated Press

About how he hasn't talked about their BCS chances to the team, JJ said:
"I haven't said one word to them about it. We just talk about each game and each opponent and each play. From the time of the Heisman talk on [quarterback] Colt [Brennan], like I told him, 'You're not going to win it unless we win one at a time and win them all.' " (AP)


About his weekly appointment with the scale in the UH locker room, Raphael Ieru said:
"You get scared every time. You can step on it, and you don't see the results you feel you should see." (HA)


About how 3 weeks ago the scale showed that he was under 300 pounds, Ieru (who was up to 365 after joining the Warriors) said:
"I was super excited. It was unbelievable. I felt real good. I've been getting good comments from all of the coaches. That drives you even more." (HA)


About how Ieru (now 296 pounds) was promoted to #2 RT after losing the weight, JJ said:
"Because he showed the dedication off the field to lose the weight, I'm going give him an opportunity to show what he can do." (HA)

HA Note: "During the bye week, Ieru has received extensive work during team drills. His strength (benches 225 pounds 26 times) combined with his improved quickness have improved his stock as a perimeter blocker."


Praising Ieru, OL coach Dennis McKnight said:
"He's playing his (butt) off. He's reborn again hard. I'm very proud of him." (HA)


About how he struggled with his conditioning after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in 2005, Ieru said:
"Sometimes my knee held me back, but I don't use that as an excuse." (HA)


About how he was last year, Ieru admitted:
"I wasn't responsible. I took everything to the head instead of taking care of all of my priorities." (HA)

HA Note: "At the end of spring practice in April, Jones told the 6-foot-1 Ieru he needed to weigh less than 300 if he wanted to compete for playing time. Ieru went on the Atkins Diet, eating salads and smaller portions of beef and chicken. He reduced his intake of carbohydrates and sweets."


About reporting to training camp at 309 pounds, Ieru said:
"Coach Jones wanted me to lose more, but he was OK with 309." (HA)


About how he then *gained* 6 pounds, Ieru said:
"I felt bad. I didn't want to disappoint anybody. We've got brothers out there fighting for you, and the best you can do is your part." (HA)


About how he then drank more water and avoided any fried foods, Ieru added:
"You get used to eating small portions. You keep doing it, and you feel better about yourself." (HA)


About how he wants to reach his preferred weight of 290, Ieru said:
"People say that's too light for a lineman. But people have different frames. There are big 290s and skinny 290s. You have to be in shape to play in this offense. There's a lot of movement, pulling, a lot of screens. There's a lot of fun stuff, too. It's not pass block and chill. You have to be quick on your feet and read the (line)backers and (defensive) ends. I'm trying to improve." (HA)


About how he wants to learn more about his Samoan ancestry, Ieru loves how Colt, Bess, and Patek speak Samoan:
"I feel they're getting better than me. That goes to show they're taking it serious. They want to learn about the Polynesian cultures. It's a big plus. That shows we're brothers on this team. That's what keeps us close." (HA)


Vowing to play in their bowl game, Monteilh said:
"I'm playing in the bowl whether they like it or not. I think I'll be good to go." (HA)


Monteilh was told the recovery for his injury if 6-8 weeks and there are 5 weekends left in the regular season, but Monteilh hasn't given up hope for the regular season, saying:
"I heal a little fast." (HA)


About being happy with the bye week last in the season, JJ said:
"I always think byes late in the season are (good)." (HSB)

Not worried about how they could get rusty, JJ said:
"I don't ever worry about rust. We've been using our bye schedule the way we have for almost 25 years. I think we're pretty good after byes. … I stole this from Jerry Glanville, and it works." (Idaho Statesman)

About how their offense helps them get into gear, JJ said:
"Because we're a high-tempo offense … we kick it right into gear when we come back." (IS)

IS Note: "Hawaii coaches will use this week's bye to begin game-planning for their last three opponents of the season — Nevada, Boise State and Washington. The Warriors face Fresno State on Nov. 10 in Honolulu. All four games will be televised on ESPN networks."


Wishing that they didn't have a bye week now, Dennis McKnight said:
"I don't like having byes. I think it takes away momentum and stuff you have." (HSB)


About how they don't just relax during the bye week, RT Keoni Steinhoff said:
"Everybody thinks we have rest and stuff, but it's just another practice week for us. We come out here every day, practice, weight room, running, all that kind of stuff. Relaxing isn't necessarily on my schedule." (HSB)


About the 3 holding calls he got in the NMSU game, Keith AhSoon (isn't that Ah-Soon?) said:
"Maybe we need to have some referee session or something to get to know what's holding. I was disappointed (with the calls), man, but at the same time I had to keep my composure." (HSB)

Note: Man, someone gets 3 holding calls in one game and the Star-Bulletin takes away the "-" in his name!


About how he disagreed with the holding calls, McKnight said:
"What they call holding and what I call holding, obviously we're on different pages. To me, an ass-kicking where you put a guy on his back on a flat-ass pancake block is not holding." (HSB)


About how his OL gets a good test in practice, OL coach McKnight said:
"The one good thing about it is we practice against the No. 1 sack team in our conference every day. I think our defense, with the way they blitz and come after us, is the best work we can get." (HSB)


About how he thinks that the bye week is good for them so they have the practice time, Steinhoff said:
"I think another bye week for more hard work in practice is important to us. We still need to improve our blocking schemes." (HSB)


About how he doesn't like the bye week, AhSoon (or Ah-Soon) said:
"It kind of bothers me. Once you're in that routine of going out there every Saturday, it's a good thing. It's hard for someone like me who's anxious to play." (HSB)


About how they will plya their final 4 games in just 22 days, Steinhoff said:
"It's going to be a dogfight to the end." (HSB)


Happy that ESPN will broadcast their final 4 games, HF said:
"We're so glad that we were able to work out the various details with ESPN in order to deliver this game to a national television audience. Having our last four football games on national television, including three at home, will really highlight our program and provide wonderful exposure for the state of Hawaii." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment