Sunday, July 29, 2007

Quotes from Colt and his problem in Colorado

Looking back on his college career, Colt said:
"From where I started in college football to a Heisman Trophy candidate is ... unreal, a surreal feeling. I just want to do it right." (HSB)


Freely talking about his problems in Colorado, Colt said:
"After I got sentenced I lost my scholarship (offers)." (HSB)

"It will be an issue once I become a candidate for the NFL. It will resurface. I'm going to try to use it as a chance to really clear my name. I really got dragged through the mud by the media. A lot of stuff that was said was untrue. Articles that came out after I was sentenced were galaxies away from what I got charged with." (HSB)


Praising Colt, SJSU All-America CB Dwight Lowery said:
"In my opinion, Colt Brennan is probably the best quarterback in the nation. He can make every throw and you have to respect that. And he can run. He brings a lot to the table." (HSB)


About a lesson he took from the Colorado experience, Colt said:
"The biggest thing (learned) is probably humility. Walking away from that ... you can't embarrass me, you can't humiliate me. I have nothing to hide. There's no doubt what happened, the position I put myself in, I've got no one to blame but myself. But a lot of things that followed just weren't right.

You're meant to experience misfortune. You're meant to deal with stuff that's just not right. It's just how you deal with it and how you move on with your life. I think people who want to talk about my character, should look at what I've done since then. Let the actions speak for themselves." (HSB)


Asked for his career highlight, Colt said:
"Watching this past spring when everybody like Samson (Satele) and Nate (Ilaoa) signed contracts and got their money. We had a big barbecue for Samson before he left. To see those guys and last year's success really pay off for the guys and hopefully a foundation set for years to come, that was special." (HSB)


About how Colt is such a team-first player, JJ said:
"Colt's such a team guy. He's a great kid and a very talented player. Most of all he's a winner. When the game starts he's as excited as anyone to play football." (HSB)


Asked why Colt stayed for his senior season, JJ said:
"I kind of think it's the camaraderie, staying in the same place for three years. The consistency, being in one place meant something to him. He wanted to continue to enjoy that. It says a lot about him." (HSB)


About entering his 3rd year at UH, Colt said:
"For the first time in my life I feel like a veteran. I never experienced that, even in Pop Warner. Every team it was one year. Now with two years and a comfort level I can practice leadership skills. With Samson, Nate, Leonard (Peters) and Tala (Esera) gone we have a lot of leadership roles to fill." (HSB)


About how the NFL scouts want him to get bigger, Colt said:
"(The scouts) said they want a bigger kid. But without a doubt the main reason I came back was the experience of last year, all the fun times." (HSB)


About how he's up to 205 now and wants to be at 210 by NFL combine, Colt said:
"I've made a commitment to lifting. I do enjoy it to an extent. I've just never been a very strong kid. I feel bad when I'm taking so much weight off when it's my turn." (HSB)


About how he told Colt to work on his deep passes this offseason, JJ said:
"He's already good at it, but it's an area he can improve on." (HSB)


Asked about Ian Johnson and the ESPY he flaunted at him, Colt got in some good digs at Ian:
"First of all, congratulations to Ian on his ESPY. Really. And I really missed him at the Walter Camp All-American banquet and I especially missed him at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show. Maybe next year we can meet up." (HSB)


Asked why he wasn't bitter about his Colorado days, Colt said:
"I just take it out on the field I guess. I learned you can't hold grudges. If you want to prove people wrong you have to go out there and have a lot of success. I just realized that focusing on myself on being a good person and on the football field would do more for me than being bitter." (HSB)


QB Coach Dan Morrison said that Colt has matured a lot during his time at UH:
"It's one of the things that sets him apart. And much of his growth is due to the journey. Who he's become is partly tied to difficult times. Everyone handles it differently, some disastrously so. Colt's a shining example of turning adversity into positives." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment