Friday, July 20, 2007

Quotes about JJ and how he moved all around the country

About how he never stayed anywhere in his career as long as his 9 years at UH, JJ said:
"Two years is the longest I've been somewhere." (HSB)

Note: Kalani Simpson points out that JJ spent 3 years in Atlanta as head coach, but JJ made his point.


About how he moved all around and never wanted more than a 1-year contract because he wanted to have the freedom to renegotiate or move to a better job if he succeeded, JJ said:
"I lived in 18 cities in 15 years. But I climbed the ladder very quickly." (HSB)

"I'm talking about these are full moves, furniture. Two times full moves in one year." (HSB)

"I loved it." (HSB)


Asked how his moving around affected his kids, JJ said:
"Everybody used to say, 'What about your kids?' Let me tell you something, my kids have seen America. They read in the book the Alamo, they've seen the Alamo. Niagara Falls, they've been to Niagara Falls. We lived in Toronto. Everywhere, they can tell you about everything. And they have friends everywhere." (HSB)


About how he used to pile his family in the car to take them to some educational/historical place, JJ said:
"And they used to just be funny, because I'm a history kind of guy and I would drive them the place, like" -- he's doing the kids' voices now -- " 'No!' And I would tell them the story. And they would be like, 'Dad, we don't want to see that again!' " (HSB)


About how his kids appreciate seeing all of those places now, JJ said:
"They appreciate it now, but at the time ... For years, every time we had a family (gathering), they were like, 'Remember Dad, when you went to the place down there where you said ... they burned the you know, or dah, dah, dah.' 'Remember when you made us sit there in the car and told that story ...' " (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment