Monday, July 23, 2007

Quotes about Colt and Ian Johnson

About the similar situation he and Ian Johnson have now, Colt said:
"Ian and I are going through the same experiences. We can understand each other." (HA)


About how he and Colt have to watch everything they do or say, Ian said:
"It's like we're out here everyday, watching those who are watching us. We've been given a great gift. The worst thing we can do is ruin it by anything said or done in the heat of any moment." (HA)


About the attention that will be focused on Colt since he returned for his senior season, JJ said:
"I told him all of the media exposure would get him ready at his next stop, when he goes to the National Football League. It will be like this every day." (HA)


JJ advised Colt to:
"Turn everything into a positive thing." (HA)


About how JJ never twisted his arm to stay at UH, Colt said:
"He never tried to force me to stay. He encouraged me to make my own decision." (HA)

Note: That was a very unselfish, player-focused way to approach that issue. I'm so happy that JJ was just concerned about what was best for Colt, not what was best for JJ or UH.

HA Note: "He "probably" would have applied for the NFL draft if Jones had left. Jones received an inquiry from an NFL team prior to Brennan's decision."

HA Note: "He sometimes called plays in Samoan."


Praising Colt for the way that he addressed his pre-UH difficulty, ESPN's Ivan Maisel said:
"It's refreshing to see a young guy like that be as forthright in talking about his past. He's clearly mature about it. A lot of times, in our business, the elephant is in the room and everybody talks around it. He comes straight at it. There's a lesson to be learned, for a lot of people, by the way he handles it." (HA)


About talking about his situation, Colt said:
"It was cool. It was good to address things and let people know where things stand. Hopefully, everyone got a good understanding of me, about Hawai'i, and what we're trying to do this year." (HA)


About how he always speaks highly of Colt, Ian Johnson said:
"He's a great guy. Anytime anyone asks about him, I tell them nothing but good stuff, because it's the truth. ... He's come from a tough situation. Also, he's had a whole lot of adversity that he's overcome. I'm proud to say he's a member of the WAC." (HA)


About how he'll decided to go to the NFL or stay at BSU for his Senior season based on what is best for his family, Ian said:
"My goal for the rest of my life is to be a great husband. If football was to get in the way of that, then football would have to go. ... My mindset is I'm playing two more years (for Boise State), I'm getting my degree, I'm going to graduate. After that, we'll entertain thoughts (about a pro career)." (HA)


About how his childhood dreams did not include becoming a pro athlete, Ian said:
"My dream was to be a great husband, to have the white picket fence, to be stable. My thing is I want stability." (HA)


If he has to leave or move around his wife and future children to chase an NFL dream, Ian said:
"that's not for me. If that's my option, I'm choosing 'nay.' If it's, 'Hey, you're going to get $27 million next year,' I'm sorry, nobody leaves $27 million on the table, unless ..." (HA)

HA Note: "He then turned toward Brennan, who sacrificed a fat check by returning to UH."


Asked about his future life with his wife, Ian said:
"I promise you this, whatever happens, I'll be stable. As of right now, the only offer I have is $650 a month and a scholarship, so I'm taking it." (HA)

No comments:

Post a Comment