Thursday, July 26, 2007

Awesome story about Ikaika and walking on to UH

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/Still_Pinching_Myself/20891

When I was heading to the University of Hawaii out of high school I was offered a scholarship by June Jones. I played basketball in high schools and I weighed maybe 200 pounds so I really don't know what he saw in me. When I was going into UH I started working out with the football team to stay in shape before basketball season. When Coach Jones offered the scholarship my dad turned it down. I thought he was crazy turning away a free education, that's a lot of money. But he told me he did not want me to be given anything. If I was going to get a scholarship I needed to earn it.

After playing basketball my first year I decided I did want to play football and Coach Jones welcomed me to the team. He still had the scholarship for me but I wouldn't take it. I was a walk on until my junior year. I'll never forget the day when I did earn the scholarship. Coach Jones announced it in front of the team and it was the same emotion I felt when I got the call from the Lions. It was really unbelievable.

The decision my dad made really taught me to always work hard. The fact that he was paying for schooling just made me work harder for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment