Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Quotes from Spring Practice, Week 3 Day 1

About bulking up from 225 to 250 pounds, Victor Clore said:
"I've just been training hard with all the guys out here. Working out, trying to put on weight. I just want to help out any way I can, get on the field." (HSB)


About how he fits the 4-3 defense better, Clore said:
"In the 3-4 it's more difficult because you have to take on more guys and you have to be around 280 (pounds)." (HSB)


About how Clore fits the DE needs for the 4-3 defense but was undersized in the 3-4, JR said:
"The 4-3 helps him because from a physique standpoint he's more suited for this. He was gonna be a real undersized end in the 3-4. In the 4-3 you're more up the field and you're looking almost for outside linebacker type bodies. It really does give a chance for guys like him who are athletes to be on the field." (HSB)

"Now he has the chance to be an every-down guy at the end position." (HSB)


About how Clore's improvement is earning him playing time, JR said:
"Greg asked us to evaluate the players at the end of each week of spring practice and on Victor's report I wrote we need to give him reps. He needs playing time, the opportunity to learn by doing. It's not Ikaika coming off the basketball court, but it's about as close as you can get. When you're out there with high socks and gloves and a towel, and all of a sudden you gotta line up and be a man, it's a different deal." (HSB)


Praising Clore, JJ said:
"Last year watching him on scout team, we knew he had a chance to be a player. He's shown that so far in spring ball. He has a good motor and does what he's supposed to do." (HSB)


About intercepting Colt's first pass of team drills, Gerald Lewis said:
"Colt throws it straight and on a line. He's just out here to get us better and we're here to get him better." (HSB)


About how GM's schemes allows CBs to have more opportunities for interceptions, Lewis said:
"It's different because there's more zone. We can read the quarterback more instead of playing man all the time. We get a chance to make plays on the ball." (HSB)


About making the play of the day (leaping to tip the ball and then diving to catch it), Adam Leonard said:
"I was just tracking the ball and my eyes got wide. I told myself I can't mess up on this opportunity." (HSB)


Confused when he received congratulations before yesterday's Spring Practice, Keao Monteilh said:
"For what? I thought he thought I went to Merrie Monarch or something." (HA)

"I had the butterflies in the beginning. I had fun. I love it out there." (HA)
HA Note: "The move completed a remarkable comeback for Monteilh. During final-examination week in December 2005, Monteilh suffered from appendicitis. His grades dropped while he recovered.

In March 2006, Monteilh was dismissed from the team because of his academic problems, but he was allowed to attend classes. At the end of the 2006 spring semester, UH coach June Jones did not renew Monteilh's scholarship. But Jones told Monteilh the scholarship would be restored if he continued to receive good grades.

Monteilh rejoined the team last September. He opted to redshirt, allowing him time to improve his grades and physical condition. He also decided to move from cornerback, where he was a part-time starter in 2004 and 2005, to safety."


About elevating Monteilh to #1 left safety, GM (who posted his first depth chart yesterday) said:
"Keao is really doing things right and playing hard. Rich (Miano, the defensive secondary coach) and I felt he deserved a shot with the first unit. We'll keep evaluating things, but as of today, he's No. 1." (HA)


About the hard work he has put in, Monteilh said:
"I worked with (conditioning) coach Mel (deLaura) on my speed and my strength. increased his maximum bench press from 275 pounds to 345. Before, my 40 time was, maybe, forever." (HA)
Note: Monteilh added 15 pounds (he now weighs 193) and increased his max bench press from 275 to 345. His 40 time is 4.59, 13th fastest at UH.


About Monteilh, Coach Mel deLaura said:
"He did what he was supposed to do. He wasn't off doing other things." (HA)


About his study buddy, 2.5-year-old son Kanoa, Monteilh said:
"Sometimes I bring him to class. He's in my English and Hawaiian classes. He's a true Kanoa from Manoa." (HA)


Feeling that Brad Kalilimoku is also a 1st-team LB, GM said:
"Brad will roll with the linebackers. We feel he qualifies as a first-unit linebacker." (HA)


About how Ryan Keomaka is right behind Lewis and Newberry at CB, GM said:
"We think we have three No. 1 corners." (HA)


About moving up the depth chart, Keomaka said:
"I'm stepping up on the ladder." (HA)


About how he's gone from 150 to 172 at UH, Keomaka said:
"I'm 172, baby. All steel. I'm eating iron in the weight room." (HA)


About being the nickelback, Guyton Galdeira said:
"I was told I had a handicap; I'm vertically challenged. 5-8 with cleats." (HA)


About Galdeira as nickelback, GM said:
"As long as he can jump, we don't care about those other things. He's really technically sound. He's perfect for a nickelback." (HA)


About his role at speed LB in the 3-3-5 defense installed yesterday (blitz, pass defend, run stop), Galdeira said:
"It's a pretty big role. I guess coach (McMackin) sees something in me." (HA)


About the schedule, Herman Frazier said:
"I am having conversations with prospective football opponents, but there is no information to report at this time." (HSB, HA)


About how they will release a schedule soon that will NOT include UH, Mississippi State associate AD Mike Nemeth said:
"we're hoping to announce a schedule today or tomorrow ... and it will be without Hawai'i." (HA)

No comments:

Post a Comment